Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My daughter....is like a mini-me. Heaven help me.

My daughter is getting to that age where crushes are pretty common.  She tells me about who has a crush on whom...and in her class, that happens to be a lot.  She decided a couple years ago that crushes were "too much work" and fortunately, for me (and her Daddy), she is still thinking that way.  Our daughter had explained why: "When I was in preschool, I had a crush on Reid.  Katrina also had a crush on him.  And when you have a crush, then you have to try to get his attention.  That's too much work, so I don't have a crush on anyone."

But what happens when someone has a crush on her?  Well, read on.  Today's conversation went something like this:


Daughter: Guess what?


Me: What?


Daughter: Kasie (her friend) has a friend in 3rd grade and her friend told her that a boy has a crush on me.


Me: How did she know that?


Daughter: Her friend heard about it, went up to him and asked.  The boy admitted that he had a crush on me.


Me: Who's the boy?


Daughter: I don't know.  His name is Chris.


Me: You don't know him?


Daughter: No.


Me: Well then how does he know you?


Daughter: I have no idea.


Me: What did you say to Kasie when she told you?


Daughter: So what!?

I sort of feel bad for that little boy.  What attitude she has.  And all my friends can say to me is, "That's you.  She's a little you.  Good luck with that," as they laugh.

Actually, if she keeps on this track, at least she's keeping the boys at bay.  That's a good thing, right?

Kids are growing up so much earlier.  I can't even fathom the thought of a first date.  When are kids starting to date nowadays?  How many more years do I have before I have to worry about her dating?

No comments: