Monday, September 13, 2010

We dared...and we conquered!

This past weekend, my daughter and I joined another mom-daughter duo in the Urban Dare competition in San Francisco.  Having competed in The Great Urban Race with a long-time friend of mine last month, I knew what to expect about a scavenger/adventure race overall.

However, this time, I have to admit this fact: prior to the race, I was worried whether or not we would complete the race on time. I wasn't sure a team that included two tween girls and only one city native (me, a person who hasn't lived in the city since the 80s, mind you) would be able to finish the race on time.  Okay, I take that back.  I knew it was possible, but I had my doubts as to whether we would go stir-crazy and/or give up before then.  Or whether *I* would go crazy before then. I am not known for my patience, you see - one of the many perks of being me. HAHAHA.

Seriously, even the most compatible pairs on the Amazing Race seem to have their issues.  And while my daughter and I get along, we definitely have our own communication issues.  Plus, my daughter's complaints of being starving (as if we don't feed her...haha) or getting cramps (while running) are the norm.  Throw in another mom-daughter combo and even more variables and personalities are added.  Fortunately, we all went in with the same positive attitude and outlook: the goal is to HAVE FUN and try to finish before time ends!

We did encounter a few bumps in the road (using cell phones are not as speedy as friends with internet connection on the phone lifelines, getting a wrong location, and not knowing what hotel had to do with Charles Dickens' novel), but fortunately, they weren't game-enders.  We got into the groove and not only finished but were the FIRST FAMILY TEAM to arrive.  We were exhausted at the end of the race, but the four of us worked as a team and our teamwork was acknowledged with a plaque!!! 

Go Team "Partners in Crime"!!!!!

No comments: