Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Displays of Affection

I bought my husband a Valentine's Day card. I know, big deal, right? Well, to be honest, I'm not all that fabulous about getting cards for my husband. Sometimes I just don't. Why? Because I figure he doesn't really care either way. (Maybe he does, but I don't think so.)  Mind you, he *has* to get me a card...or I'll be pissed. Double standard? Hell yes. So be it.

But that's about all I expect.  I've never been a big romantic.  I don't like grand gestures.  In fact, one of my male friends was telling me how he was planning to surprise his girlfriend on Valentine's Day with either participating in some huge Pillow Fight (http://www.pillowfight.info/) or having some romantic restaurant dinner with flowers, chocolates, etc.

Barf.

I know.  I'm horrible.  Maybe it's the Virgo practicality in me, but the idea of all that makes me laugh - and not in a good way.  For me, I find it's the little things that I appreciate: asking me if I'd like an iced tea (he makes the best iced tea), cooking a fantastic meal, letting me sleep in while he takes the kids to school.  And think about it - these are things he does on a regular basis, rather than one huge gesture on Valentine's Day and/or my birthday.

Anyhow, as I was saying, I found the perfect card to tell him how I feel about him...it's cheesy and overly lovey-dovey, but it really does say how I feel. Isn't that what Hallmark is all about?

The card says..

for my WONDERFUL HUSBAND on Valentine's Day

I love being married to you,
You are the rock of my life.
Of all the decisions that I ever made,
the best one is being your wife.

I love coming home to your smile,
your strong arms around me in bed...
My deepest delight is belonging to you,
with our dreams for a lifetime ahead.

Whenever I saw the word "husband,"
I'm thankful all over again
I'm blessed with the gift of a lifetime --
the sweetest, most loving of men.

You made me the happiest woman
the day that I promised "I do,"
and my heart is completely devoted
to spending forever with you.

Happy Valentine's Day
with all my love.

We have been married for over 12 years. And while some years were more challenging than others, I am incredibly thankful that I was fortunate enough to meet my husband when I did - and blessed that we still love one another after all these years. It helps that he's nice to look at, too - at least I think so.

No comments: