Monday, July 12, 2010

Summer, I love you.

Summers are great because I get to spend a lot of time with my family - without all the distractions of grading papers, helping my daughter with her schoolwork, or dealing with the chauffeur side of getting two kids to and from school.  Instead, more focus is put on just enjoying the company of others, relaxing, and doing fun activities.

For the 4th of July weekend, we met my parents at my uncle's house and spent days lounging by the pool, taking a ride on a small choo choo nearby, feeding koi fish, playing with the dogs, and relaxing.

Of course, because my uncle lives in a county where fireworks are allowed, we also were able to light our own fireworks and play with sparklers.  Unaccustomed to the whole thing, my kids and I were all a bit apprehensive.  Aside from the sparklers, I let everyone else do the honors of lighting them.  I figured my husband should be the most comfortable being that he did all these kinds of fireworks as a kid growing up in Japan!  Plus, I think having all 10 fingers, thank you! ;)

We had a great time, even in the heat (the pool helped), and we can't wait to go back next year!  In fact, my son keeps asking when he can go see his uncle again. 


This past weekend, my husband and I took our kids to the Obon Festival.  I couldn't wait to see the taiko drummers.

Ever since I was a kid, I have always loved listening to the beat of the drums.  There is something so calming and exciting at the same time.  I remember - many years ago - seeing a taiko performance with my grandfather at the Kabuki Theater in San Francisco.  I was mesmerized.  Sadly, I don't get the chance to see many performances, so I am always happy when I get the chance!  I was not disappointed!

My husband and daughter also enjoyed watching the drummers.  However, I think my son's highlight of the day was the "train" ride to and from the festival - that and the ice cream he ate while there.  He just doesn't have the attention span quite yet.  After sitting quietly for two songs, he befriended the lady sitting next to us and starting playing with her - my son, ever the charming flirt, always on the prowl for new friends - starting to show his new friend all his martial arts moves. haha.  Regardless of what made it fun for him, he had a good time at the festival, too!

Other than the past two weekends' activities, I pretty much did....NOTHING...which is also a fabulous summer benefit!  Aside from a couple appointments, taekwondo, and making headway on cleaning the garage, the kids and I stayed home: we caught up on some TV shows; we took naps (or my son and I did); we played games.

Balancing scheduled activities with downtime = bliss.  Did I also mention that my new favorite luxury is taking a nice, relaxing bath each evening - one with my new foaming oil, scented with eucalyptus, chamomile, and rosehips?  Seriously, it's fabulous.

Summer is fabulous.  Life is fabulous.  Oh, summer, how I love you.  Please don't go away too soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to live by J-town and so did my BF at one point ( not together)and we both never went to the festivals down there just cause it always made going home difficult as well as creating traffic and parking issues. But I know one of the SJ Taiko drumers! I' been meaning to go see her drum!