Friday, April 23, 2010

Don't Cross That Line!

I'm all for people who are confident.  In fact, I love confident people; they believe in themselves, they persevere; they know they are capable of achieving their goals.

But there is a line between confidence and conceit.  

Need a specific example?  Look at Project Runway and compare Seth Aaron and Emilio Sosa.  Both are confident in their skills, are passionate about their work, and love what they do.  The difference between the two is a bit of humility.  Seth Aaron knows he is good; he is confident, but he also listens to other viewpoints and sees the value in others' work. In contrast, Emilio Sosa loves the sound of his voice; he loves his work and his work only; he thinks he is the very best, regardless of others' talents; and he can't seem to see past his own wonderful glory.

I realize that all contestants may have "trash-talked" one another at one time or another.   I know that some of what we saw was creative editing, making him out to be the bad guy...but let's be real.  Regardless of what they may have cut, they didn't add things in.  He still said it - OVER AND OVER AGAIN - he was the best; no one can do what he can; they cannot even touch him; he is the one with the showstoppers.  Blah. Blah. Blah.  I almost wanted to stop watching because he was simply, in a word, UNBEARABLE.

 Seth Aaron                   Emilio Sosa

I was so incredibly grateful that he did NOT win the fashion show.  While he definitely has talent and I loved a lot of his designs he showed this season, his pompous attitude and his overbearing arrogance was too much to take: "I will be the winner.  I am the best. No one else is near my caliber of designer."

Gah.  Shut up, already.

There is a difference between confidence and conceit.  Please, don't cross that line!  No one wants to hear you brag about yourself and your abilities ALL the freakin' time!

No comments: