Wednesday, April 14, 2010

You just never know


In less than two weeks, my daughter and I will be promoting to yellow belts, maybe my son...but the instructor isn't quite sure if he's ready yet.  We started back in December and have been attending martial arts classes 2-3 times a week since then.

I never imagined that my kids would take martial arts.  Obviously, there's nothing wrong with it, but for some reason, it just wasn't one of those activities that came to my mind.  Maybe it's because I had a distorted view of martial arts: I got flashbacks of watching Kung Fu movies with my aunts and uncles - the ones with the men with long braids flying in the air while contorting their bodies into some weird angle.  And really, that's either completely unrealistic (think movies and cable wires) or dangerous (think Jackie Chan interviews and how often he was rushed to the hospital because he did his own stunts).  Or maybe it's because none of my friends ever took martial arts classes, so I was never really exposed to it.

Thus, I never really thought about it, nor did I think about exposing my kids to it.  But then, we were invited to a birthday party at a martial arts studio and my daughter took an interest in it.

I'm one of those parents who believe in child-led activities (at least for extracurricular ones).  There are too many areas where children don't have a choice: school, bedtime, chores, etc.  I believe that children should be allowed some choices.

When I was in elementary school, several of my friends were forced into certain activities, be it piano or some sports team, and they didn't really seem to enjoy it.  Fortunately, I didn't have that problem and I spent most of my days rollerskating or playing random games with friends after-school: tag, Chinese jumprope, hide and seek.  I did try my hand at the activities most of my friends did (Chinese school and piano), but after realizing it felt like more school, I quit.  And I am grateful my mom let me stop going.
I do admit that a small part of me regrets that decision - since I would love to be bilingual or be able to play the piano had I stuck it out - but a larger part is grateful that I got to spend my time rollerskating and playing after-school, rather than sitting in front of a piano wondering how much longer I had to try to make music (if you consider Peter, Peter, pumpkin eater songs music).

It is because of that - and probably my child development degree - that I allow my children to choose (within reason).  This is the first time that my daughter has really shown a passion for something (other than art, reading, and videogames).  She is excited to go to class and she even practices the taekwondo forms at home.  My son practices as well and is excited to see his friends and do "double jab, cross, hook, uppercut," but I think his favorite thing has to be the weapons.  HAHA.

I have to admit that even if the kids decided not to continue with martial arts later down the road, I think I'd still keep doing it.  So, you know what?  You just never know...until you try!

This is a photo from our Belt Promotion in February.

No comments: