Monday, April 26, 2010

I thought I was daring but maybe not...

I've always considered myself a daring sort of person.  As a kid, I was often found playing on top of a fifth story building rooftop, climbing from one building to the next.  As an adult, I found safer ways to explore adventure: skydiving, cave rappelling, ziplining, mechanical bullriding, and whitewater rafting have been some of my more recent adventures. 

So, it's pretty obvious that I love adventure, right?  When the TV shows Survivor and Amazing Race came out, I always imagined what it would be like to get to try those crazy challenges in the rain or travel to exotic places.  I even considered trying out for the show...

Until they upped the ante!

It became more than the physical challenges that tests one's ability to face their fear of heights or one's strength and perseverance to pull a rickshaw; it became how much one could stomach, eating cow testicles or swallowing live baby octopus, while not throwing up.  After the Amazing Race episode where one dude had to drink his own puke because he vomited a bit back up in his bowl, I drew the line.


That's just gross.  I'm sorry, but no money or adventure is worth eating my own vomit.  That's completely disgusting.

Clearly, I'm not daring when it comes to food.  I'm far from adventurous when it comes to eating out-of-the-ordinary items.  In fact, I'm a little grossed out by the idea.  While my husband and daughter sit back on the couch and watch Bizarre Foods, I find myself in another room, either reading a book or playing on the computer.  I don't want to watch.  (This may be another reason I've stopped watching Amazing Race religiously.)

Anyhow, it's amazing what some people will try and these people are everywhere.  You don't have to look on TV to find them.  At the Jelly Belly Factory this past weekend, I saw people trying jellybeans in flavors, such as Baby Wipe, Rotten Egg, and Dog Food.  Further investigation of flavors resulted in learning about more off-the-wall offerings: Booger, Barf, Moldy Cheese, Pencil Shavings, and Skunk Spray.





W.T.F.

Who comes up with this stuff?

There's even a game called Bean Boozled.  If you're that kind of daring, check it out yourself and buy it online at the Jelly Belly Factory. Or not. HAHA.

No comments: