Friday, April 16, 2010

It's not rocket science...or am I expecting too much?

I realize that customer service is a lost art, but sometimes I wonder how businesses can operate at such a low level.  Shouldn't businesses (and people, for that matter) at least TRY to do better?  I have realized that maybe the salespeople have no idea where things are at Home Depot and I have accepted the fact that I will have to stand in line for days at Michael's.  Maybe it just takes too much time to learn where everything is and it costs too much money to hire the accurate amount of staff for Michael's, but some things should be common sense, like bagging items, right?

Bagging groceries is something everyone can do, right?  At some stores, it's even expected that the shopper bags his own groceries, so it's not like it's challenging.  It should be common sense.  So, when I come home after shopping with groceries in two plastic bags while three of my canvas bags were empty, I had to wonder what these people were thinking.  Did they think I decided to bring the canvas bags just for show but wanted to bring home ripped plastic bags?  Then, after finishing my unpacking and finding that my bread was put into a bag with cleaning chemicals and a large box of soap, I had to wonder, "Are these people stupid?"  Or maybe they just thought I *wanted* my bread to be morphed into a different shape since it was at the BOTTOM of the bag.

Seriously, it's not rocket science. 

Or maybe it's only common sense to me and I'm expecting too much.  Actually, I remember a past student of mine who told me that Safeway actually has a class on how to bag groceries.  If that's the case, maybe all the stores should start offering the same classes.  Or maybe I should start shopping at Safeway!

No comments: